STRIKE UPDATE: ASUU REJECTS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OFFER

 

ASUU & FG MEETING

 

MEETING UPDATE

With the hopes of the masses rising high and anticipating the call-off of the 2months strike, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) have rejected monetary offers made by the federal government earlier this week to rehabilitate the nation’s universities and pay allowances.  The Minister of Labour and Employment, Mr. Chris Ngige stated in the 7th meeting between ASUU and the government said the dispute between ASUU and the government was on the verge of being solved. The minister stated that the Ministry of Finance had confirmed and presented adequate evidence that the sum of 15.4 billion naira had been released to the nation’s public universities for the purpose of rehabilitation and that the President, Muhammadu Buhari had approved the sum of 20 billion naira to settle allowances and arrears of the university lecturers from 2009 to 2012.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS ON EARLIER MEETING

ASUU DECISION

Also, the President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi stated today that after reviewing the offers with the union body, members of the union have rejected the offer and have decided to go on with the strike. Prof. Biodun stated that the reason for going on with the strike is that the government offer was a common tokenism rather than delivering the outstanding revitalization fund of 1.1 trillion naira. He stated concerning allowances that the proposal from the government shouldn’t be lesser than the previously released amount.  In the Professor’s words, he said “Our members have rejected tokenism with respect to the outstanding fund of 1.1 trillion naira. The revitalization fund and earned academic allowances are two critical areas on which the union members feel strong about”. He added that the union expects necessary adjustments from the government before the consider halting the ongoing strike. This indefinite strike kicked off on the 4th of November 2018. Reasons for the strike being

  • Implementation of the 2009 FGN/ASUU agreements
  • Memorandum of Understanding(MoU; 2012 and 2013)
  • Memorandum of Action(MoA, 2017)
  • Truncation of the renegotiation of the union’s agreements

 

 

In addition, the Union has stated that to pay the 1.1 trillion revitalization fund, the government should release at least 220billion naira over four quarters of 2019.

 

CHECK OUT SOME HILARIOUS TWEETS ABOUT THE STRIKE

READ ALSO: STRIKE UPDATE: ASUU RELEASES NEW BULLETIN

Sharing is Caring
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Share

Erommonsele Emmanuel

Hello readers, you are welcome to your information desk. My name is Emmanuel, I am an engineering student, a blogger, a motivational speaker and an individual with a very deep passion for music. I share educational information and content to enable viewers who are aiming for success attain it in their various fields. I hope you enjoy your tour here.

You may also like...

6 Responses

  1. Abimbola Ikuemonisan says:

    This information is really helpful.

  2. Oritseweyinmi says:

    Na wa o, how far FG na, how much is 220bn that they can’t release. Most of their children are either studying abroad or private universities.
    This country is just sad.
    This government has failed but they won’t admit it.

  3. Piuz says:

    God help us

  4. Gbazz John says:

    😂😂😂… 220billion…govt go gree pay that Wan so?? 😂

  1. January 15, 2019

    […] SEE ALSO:STRIKE UPDATE: ASUU REJECTS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OFFER […]

  2. January 17, 2019

    […] This is an update of the previous agreement of 220billion naira revitalization funds (READ HERE). The Union has stated that the 50billion naira will be an addition to the earlier released […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *